Montreal Jazz Fest 2010 Picks!
Here are my pre-festival picks for this years’ edition of the Jazz Fest. I’m particularly pumped about the deep lineup this year.
Friday, June 25th
- Gil Scott-Heron – Fresh off the release of his new record, the spoken word icon touches down!
- Omar Sosa and Paolo Fresu – Working the angles of cuban, african and latin jazz
Saturday, June 26th
- Kid Koala, Dj Food & Spank Rock – Triple bill to celebrate the 20 years of the Ninja Tune label
- Lionel Ritchie & Cassandra Wilson – Why not shell out 100$ to hear “All Night Long” live?!!
Sunday, June 27th
- Herbie Hancock – Huge! Do not miss this chance to see of our living legends.
- Sonny Rollins – At the tender age of 80, he’s one of the very few jazz giants we have left
Monday, June 28th
- Roy Hargrove – One of the best and most creative jazz musicians of this generation
- Smokey Robinson – In his first ever Jazz Fest appearance, mr. Motown himself!
- Poirier & Kode9 – Can’t miss this “Bass summit” my good homie Poirier squares off with Kode 9
Wednesday, June 30th
- Jose James – I can’t wait for this one! This should have happened 3 years ago…
- Bobby McFerrin – One of the most original and underrated jazz artists of the 70s-80s.
Thursday, July 1st
- George Benson – Mister Jazz Guitar plays a tribute concert to Nat King Cole
- Wax Tailor and Caravan Palace – Solid double bill from France
Friday, July 2nd
- Laurie Anderson & Lou Reed – Should be a dope night full of genius and weirdness!
- Anti-Pop Consortium – APC cleanses our “hip-pop” filled ears with a dose of that real shit!
Saturday, July 3rd
- Robert Glasper & Bilal – The definition of a can’t miss show!
- Andreya Triana, Bonobo & Mr.Scruff – Three more Ninja Tune amazing acts in one night.
- Rakim – The R will be paying homage to Guru who was originally booked for this show.
Sunday, July 4th
- Allen Toussaint – The New Orleans R&B legend solo!
- Bugge Wesseltoft – One of my favorite “Nu-Jazz” artists in a solo show. Dope!
Monday, July 5th
- George Clinton & Parliament – Perfect close to the party with this absolute giant of 23rd century space funk!